From the north
Motorway A1 Firenze-Roma, leave it at Ponzano Soratte and follow the indications for Torri.
From the SS 44 (Salaria): take direction Roma, at the traffic lights of Passo Corese turn right to the SS 313 (Ternana) and drive straight on for about 25 km.
From the south
Motorway A1 Napoli-Roma. At S. Cesareo take the diversion to the motorway A1 Firenze-Roma, direction Roma. Having arrived to the Roma-Nord toll, follow the motorway A1, direction Firenze and leave it at Ponzano Soratte.
Torri is easy to reach by train from Rome and Orte with the train line FIUMICINO AEROPORTO-ROMA-ORTE.
The nearest station to Torri is GAVIGNANO. The blue-coloured COTRAL-buses link Gavignano with Torri.
For further information:
Servizio FS informa tel. (892021)
Torri is a charming medieval village, nicely set on a hill, just like almost all the Sabina villages. The old town centre, set in the higher part of the town, preserves a typically medieval aspect and is concentrated around a small square which is dominated by a church. Mild climate and the calm of the place make it a pleasant tourist destination.
The castle of Torri was mentioned in the records for the first time quite late. Its foundation is presumed to date from the second half of the 13th century, as the first certain information of its existence goes back to 1289. Around 1350 it depended directly on the Holy See. Pope Urbano V granted it in feud to Buccio and Francesco, sons of Giordano Orsini, in 1368. The Orsini constructed a palace in Torri, in which they often stayed. In 1477 castles of Torri, Roccantica, Selci and Castiglione were assigned to Cardinal Catino Orsini. In 1596 Torri lost the castles of Selci and Castiglione, distrained by the congregation of barons as payments of the debts of the feudatories. The State of Torri survived till 1698 when the last feudatory Flavio Orsini died. His widow Anna De La Tremouille managed to keep the feuds for the rest of her life and when she died in 1728, Torri passed definitively to the Apostolic House. In November 1817 in consequence of the decree of Cardinal Consalvi which sanctioned definitively the new layout of the province of Sabina (divided into districts of Rieti and Poggio Mirteto), Torri with its 952 inhabitants was inserted as an autonomous municipality in the territory of Calvi and had Montasola, Rocchette with Rocchettine and Vacone under its dominion.
The Parish Church of S. Giovanni Battista dates from 1549 and preserves a font which dates back to the VII and VIII centuries together with a canvas painted by Vincenzo Camuccini representing Madonna del Rifugio (XIX century). The bell tower is divided into mullioned windows with two lights and concludes with a XVI century spire.
Forum Novum (Torri in Sabina)
The ruins of the ancient roman municipality of Forum Novum stand in the area of Torri, precisely in Vescovio. It is not clear how this roman living area became a municipality (it seems though it obtained the status of a municipality in augustan period) nor which were the political and institutional structures of Forum Novum, but the diggings carried out a few decades ago have unearthed a large part of the public living area: the forum, the basilica, some shops, a temple, arches of an aqueduct and some funeral monuments. The remains of Castrum Domini Episcopi can be admired on the above rising hill. This building was abandoned and restored several times in the Middle Ages, last time towards the end of the eighteenth century, just before it was transformed into an Augustinian convent.
Sanctuary of Vescovio
The church of S. Maria della Lode in Vescovio rises isolated among the pines and cypresses in a level countryside with scattered roman ruins, only a few kilometres from Casperia, in the territory of Torri in Sabina. According to a tradition S. Pietro had been a guest of gens Ursacia and the church that acted as the Cathedral of Sabina until the fifteenth century, was built on the ruins of their house. The portal surmounted by a prothyrum and adorned with an inscription in lapidary capital letters (Ecclesia Cathedralis Sabinorum), is the entrance to a small courtyard in front of the fašade of the building. The fašade is flanked by the Bell tower, which podium dates back to the eleventh century a.C., while the four floors with windows with one light and those with three lights go back to the twelveth century.
The building has the form of a Latin cross, with only one nave, and was reconstructed in the eleventh century, but the oldest part of the church, besides the apse and transept, is the Crypt. This rare example of a crypt with a semi circular design, indeed dates back to the ninth century.
Castle of Rocchette and Rocchettine
In Rocchette, a small hamlet of Torri with a charming landscape, there are two fortified twin settlements which overlook a gorge created in the rock by the stream Laia. The original names of the castles were Rocca Bertalda (currently Rocchette) and Rocca Guidonesca (currently Rocchettine) and were built towards the end of Middle Ages in order to control the strategic road between Rieti and Valle del Tevere. The two castles were initially possessed by the Bishop of Sabina but passed then under the dominion of the Holy See. At the end of the 14th century they were occupied by the Savelli but at the beginning of the 16th century with a short interregnum of the Orsini, it returned to the Apostolic House. The living area of Rocchette that rises around the castle is still today inhabited, while the castle has been abandoned and therefore fallen into disrepair.
Regional Nature Reserve Tevere Farfa:
The Nature Reserve Tevere Farfa was founded in 1977, after the construction of a hydroelectric dam. The reserve extends on 700 hectares around the confluence of River Tevere and River Farfa and is characterized by marshy areas and sheets of water. Today the park is one of the most important damp areas in Lazio and it provides elevated routes that allow crossing the damp areas, and also several look-out points. In 1994 an Educational park was created. It offers an anthropological museum and guided tours for example by bicycles, and equipped picnic areas.
For further information:
Centro visite ed Uffici:
Casale della Cesa
Via Tiberina km. 35
Torrita Tiberina (RM)
Although the most famous village festival is that of Ham (prosciutto) held in July, Torri is also known for the ?falloni? (a kind of calzone stuffed with vegetables and cooked in the wood-burning oven). ?Ciambellini di magro? (small ring-shaped cakes with anice) which according to tradition have to be dunked in a glass of wine before eating, are typical sweets of Torri.
Ristorante La Pineta
Bivio Vescovio n░ 69
Offers typical dishes of Sabina area with homemade pasta and barbecued meat at reasonable prices.
Ristorante l? Oasi di Vescovio
loc. Vescovio (near Sanctuary)
tel. 0765-608032 (Monday closed)
Bivio Vescovio n░ 69